It has been widely reported that Samsung will launch the Galaxy S23 series with One UI 5.1 based on Android 13 on board. A few days before the official Galaxy S23 announcement, the One UI 5.1 features were leaked in full, revealing what Samsung’s new One UI version will bring to the table.
According to the One UI 5.1 changelog leaked by German publication WinFuture, One UI 5.1 will bring improved stock apps, family sharing albums in Gallery app, easier access to Expert RAW camera app , better AR Emojis and AR Zone, a new battery widget, Samsung Notes collaboration, improvements to cross-device controls, and small improvements to Samsung DeX.
Let’s take a look at the full One UI 5.1 changelog below.
One UI 5.1 Features: Full Changelog
- Changing the hue of a selfie just got easier: Easily change the hue of your selfies with the Effects button on the side of the screen.
- Quick access to Expert RAW: The Expert RAW app allows you to capture high quality images without any processing or compression, which is perfect for those who want to edit their photos later. Accessing Expert RAW is now easier from the Advanced menu.
- Common family album: With Shared Family Album, sharing photos with your family is easier than ever. Gallery recommends adding photos to your shared family album by recognizing the faces of your family members. You also get 5 GB of storage per family member (up to 6 people).
- Improved handling: Processing automatically removes shadows and reflections to make your photos look great. You can also recreate GIFs for better resolution and clarity.
- Convenient information display: If you swipe up when viewing a photo or video in your gallery, you can see at a glance when and where the photo was taken, on what device, where it’s stored, and more.
- Search just got more powerful: You can now search for multiple people or items at once. You can even search for people without marking their name, just by clicking on their face.
- Choose a location to save screenshots: Now you can save screenshots and screen recordings in a folder of your choice by configuring it in the advanced features.
AR Zone and AR Emoji
- Use 3 Emojis in AR Emoji Camera: Take fun photos and videos with friends (up to 3 people) in mask mode. You can replace your friends’ faces with other characters by clicking on the emoji.
- Layout and editing improvements in AR Doodles: Brushes are now available on the main AR Doodle screen for faster access. You can also resize and move drawings after creating them, and the new eraser tool lets you erase only part of your drawings without completely erasing them.
- New battery widget: With the new battery widget, you can check the battery level of your Galaxy devices. Right from the home screen, you can see how much battery is left on your smartphone, Galaxy Buds, Galaxy Watch, and other supported devices.
- Intuitive weather widget: The new style of illustration and a summary of the current weather conditions make it easy to know the weather information, whether it is sun, cloud, rain or snow.
Modes and Scenarios
- Different wallpapers depending on the mode: Set different wallpapers on lock screen and home screen according to your current activities. Choose a background for work, one for sports and more by setting different modes.
- More conditions and actions for scenarios: Run scripts automatically when you turn on airplane mode or mobile hotspot. Scripts can now open certain applications, adjust left/right audio balance, etc. New actions now let you control quick share and touch sensitivity and change the ringtone and font style.
- Collaboration in Samsung Notes: Create a shared note that multiple people can edit simultaneously. Write a report with colleagues, take notes for a study group or draw a picture with a friend. The possibilities are limitless.
- Invite shared applications with ease: You can now easily invite people to share albums, notes, and calendars using a link that can be shared between apps like Messenger, email, and social media.
- Advanced multiple commands between Galaxy Book and smartphone: You can now use your Galaxy Book mouse, keyboard or trackpad not only with your Galaxy tablet but also with your Galaxy smartphone. You can easily copy and paste text and drag and drop images from one device to another as if it were the same device. (1)
- Multimedia output for WiFi speakers: If you want to continue playing music on Wi-Fi speakers via Spotify Connect and the built-in Chromecast, just open the media output from the quick access toolbar, not the music apps. (2)
- Continue surfing on the PC: If you browse the Internet on your smartphone with Samsung Internet and then continue browsing on your PC, you can find the websites you have opened on your smartphone and continue browsing them with the PC browser. (3)
- Improved multitasking in DeX: In split-screen mode, you can now drag the splitter in the middle of the screen to resize both windows. You can also align a window to one of its corners so that it takes up a quarter of the screen.
- Parameter proposals: Suggestions are now displayed at the top of the settings screen, informing you of useful features to try or settings that need your attention so that you can activate or try them immediately.
- Improved search: You can now search by folder name in bookmarks or by group name in tabs. Improved search logic lets you find what you’re looking for, even if something is misspelled.
- Faster and easier initial setup of your new Galaxy: If you are switching to a new Galaxy from a Galaxy or other Android device, just scan the QR code of your old device to automatically migrate your Wi-Fi networks, Samsung account and Google account to the new one Device to transfer without typing anything. (4)
- Detailed weather information at a glance: Useful weather information is now displayed on the main screen of the Weather application. You can view severe weather alerts, daily weather reports, hourly rainfall, and color temperature graphs.
- Bixby text call: Use Bixby Text Call to automatically answer calls and find out the purpose of the call. You’ll see what the caller is saying in a text conversation, and you can tap or type replies to have them read aloud to the caller. Bixby text calls are only available in English and Korean.
(1) Multicontroller is only available on select Galaxy Phones, Galaxy Tabs, and Galaxy Book devices. It works on tablets with One UI 4.1 or later, phones with One UI 5.1 or later, and Galaxy Book series released in 2021 or later with Samsung v1.5 (Intel) or Samsung Settings v3.3 (ARM) . Feature availability may vary by device model.
(2) The Wi-Fi speaker needs to be set up in advance to connect the Wi-Fi speaker. Chromecast built-in is a trademark of Google LLC
(3) This function requires a PC running Windows 20H1 or later, and the phone connection and Windows connection must be updated to the latest version.
(4) Only available for Galaxy S23 and higher series with BLE technology.
A few weeks after the launch of Galaxy S23, Galaxy S23+ and Galaxy S23 Ultra, Samsung could bring One UI 5.1 to most smartphones running One UI 5.0 software based on Android 13.